Haha, I love them. Ryan needs to have one as well, seen as tho he's the boss here ;)
The Watch Dogs page, Edit
Overhaul on content and design Edit
Hello, JBanton, I have been enjoying very much the opportunity to indulge my editing skills on some very interesting reading matter here (that reading matter is solely the Watch Dogs, for now any ways). I'm very excited about the game, and really want this site to have the best display of knowledge for it. So to be frankly honest, this wiki doesn't live up to those expectations as of now. Don't feel as though I'm knocking the work and efforts of others and yourself, its just that I think we can push that effort further and work harder. One of my complaints would be the design. I'm very aware that this wiki is a 'baby', per se, and it isn't all there yet, but I think we could at least improve the look.
- Main page;
- Page layout;
- Wordmark (just a little);
Are all things that rush into my mind when it comes to the design aspects. The templates would very much fall into the category of design, so I think those could be worked out too.
In regards to the content, I'm not really a fan of the page organization. I think we could tweak it a little.
- For character pages
- General information
- == Personality and traits==
- == History == (or biography, I personally prefer the former)
- == Equipment and skills ==
- == Relationships ==
- == Trivia ==
I myself am a 'category guy'. I can't stand messy or incoherent category structures on wikis. This wiki's category system seems to be okay, though there may be some left over unwanted hickups. I think the category "Protagonist" should be deleted, since Aiden can't be classified as one. He's more of an anti-hero. If you don't mind the excessiveness, I'll compile a list of categories that should be deleted and reasons as to why:
- British cars (not officially a category, but it's listed on the British Sports Car page. I don't think we should make it a habit to classify cars by their nationality, unless the game brings a big emphasis towards it).
- German vehicles (same reason)
- Automakers (as of right now, there is only one automaker, so no need to start a category)
- 4-door sedans and coupés and vehicle types in general (if the game is paying any emphasis towards these things, than we shouldn't either. I see vehicles are something you feel strongly about, am I right? If you can perhaps bring up a compelling argument as to why we should keep them, I'll bite).
- Social groups (Just change it to groups, may be?)
All in all, these are just my basic thoughts on what could improve this wiki a bit. I must admit, I do really admire your active presence in regards to editing, its one trait of the many traits that I think defy an administrator. I'm really looking forward to your response and hope to push this conversation ahead.
ps: sorry for this long a** message ;).
- I can agree on the design needing an update, considering I at least have been mainly focused on researching and building up article content. I've updated the background, the main page should be unlocked for registered for all users, so you can freely test out upgrades on it. With regards to page layout, we'll need to get more content flowing through the pages before we can fully work on structures. On ther topic of the wordmark, I'm not really sure what else we can do; it took a while to generate the one that we currently use and it is fully relevant to the game's title and font too.
- With regards to character article structure, three of those headings do currently exist. The current structure that we use is a happy medium between a number of other open-world wiki structures (looking at GTA, RDR and AC wiki as a few examples). Taking "biography" as an example, the heading seems to be a common feature across a number of wikis, so in the interest of making articles reader-friendly it's probably best to follow the status quo as it were and use the standard name. I think that including "equipment" in a section isn't really necessary considering almost every piece of equipment will be optional and will already have an article, going into detail depending on what it is.
- For country categories, they aren't really needed so they can be deleted, the automakers is there as framework, seeing as two exist so far and more are to come. but ones such as four-door sedans and coupes most certainly shouldn't. The developers have quite obviously gone to a lot of effort in modelling the vehicles and scripting handling for each vehicle, including the very finest details such as subtle speakers on rear interior panels, carbon fibre diffuser textures or models with aftermarket parts. The developers have also gone to the trouble of creating vehicles of various types to create a range of driving experiences and vehicles that can be used for a variety of situations. Ubisoft also included vehicle purchases, storage and the underground car contact, so to say that the vehicles in game aren't deserving of much attention would be rather inconsiderate, and I'll be more than happy to take note of the effort put in through the respective articles. The body style categories are there beceause there are a number of similar vehicles are available in them, and readers can then quickly access cars of a similar body style and performance quality.
- I'll get to work on removing the excess categories, I'll leave the main page organisation to you. Our weapons and business articles definitely need to get a consistent structure implemented, so I could probably use you input on those as well.
- Thanks for airing your views on the wiki design, I've been so busy building content that I haven't paid much attention to the design :/ JBanton (Talk | Contribs) 20:01, October 30, 2013 (UTC)
- NP. Running a wiki is hard work. I'm gonna skip around, okay. Regarding the wordmark, I just thought it looked a little small is all. The optional equipment took me aback and I feel rather foolish for not remembering that. With your argument on vehicle types, I think I can bite. Article structure for establishments should general if the businesses in question is some generic shop, though it seems with Watch Dogs that will not be the case. DB & R Weaponsmiths should have a table listing the weapons for purchase. I'll try to grab enough info on each of those pages. It should suffice until the launch. Also, thanks for the vote of confidence on the main page. I'm currently working on something. :) That's all for now. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 01:00, November 2, 2013 (UTC)
- I'll see what I can do about the wordmark, but I think we're limited with how big we can have it. I like the idea about having a stocklist for each of the weapons dealers; it would certainly be a convenient addition for those reading around. I don't know if you want to, but if you want the background to be changed then highlight an image for me to put. I'm going to try creating an image via Photoshop, that we have one that fits around the central content regions. Thanks again for your help, I and I'm sure the readers appreciate it.
- In other news, a a new gameplay video has appeared on the old YouTube. I expect that soon an official version of similar gameplay will become available. In the meantime, there are some good revelations in this video. I can't imagine it will stay online for very long though :( JBanton (Talk | Contribs) 21:27, November 4, 2013 (UTC)
- Ya think we could get an HTML guru over here? Know any? --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 21:15, November 8, 2013 (UTC)
- Just looking at the work you've put in on the MediaWiki css, you're much more advanced than me; I'm only good with templates, images and content research and presentation. I'll get a few members that I know to leave you a message, hopefully they can help you out. JBanton (Talk | Contribs) 21:31, November 9, 2013 (UTC)
I'm back Edit
Sorry I've been MIA for awhile. My router's refusal to connect with the internet has totally bewildered me. Though after a few plays behind the scene, I found the source of the problem and I should be active from here on out. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 14:15, November 28, 2013 (UTC)
- Not a problem my friend, the information river appears to be drying up unfortunately :( On the plus side, at least we aren't under attack from trolls and spammers. Thanks for letting me know. JBanton (Talk | Contribs) 21:31, November 28, 2013 (UTC)
- That's actually a pretty good use of initiative. I have subsequently followed the aforementioned account. What do you plan to use the account for? (It could be used for info updates, wiki updates or as a means of contact to staff members, or all of those). 17:35, November 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Those all sound like great ideas. I've taken cues from major gaming wikis and they all seem to utilize their twitter accounts for news respective to their game and wiki community, so for us doing the same should suit. Reaching out to the staff members sure sounds like a great way to attract attention to the wiki, I like that. Since your an active administrator, do you want to operate the account? --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 17:48, November 29, 2013 (UTC)
Considering that the account is yours I wouldn't want to intrude on its operation. Also I'm quite sure you can do a perfectly good job with its running on your own (you've done a great job around here so far). I may message through some news suggestions, but beyond that I'm sure you'll have it covered. JBanton (Talk | Contribs) 18:05, November 29, 2013 (UTC)
- A word of advice, we should start branching out and affiliate with more wikis. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 20:47, December 1, 2013 (UTC)
Important discussion Edit
Still here Edit
Don't fret, I'm still here, still alive and well. I'm actually working with 'My Guy' to bring some design changes to the wiki. So while that's in the oven, shouldn't we talk about an organizational structure that fits best with over wiki? Also, some a ruleset, Manual of Style and policies are all too what make a successful wiki. Without it, we might as well just be a collection of data scattered across this website. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 15:59, January 15, 2014 (UTC)
Image policy Edit
Hello JBanton, shouldn't we discuss something like that before it's put in place? Because frankly I'm not liking it, especially the the 'file name' section. Something, like, WatchDogs-Police Interceptor (Front).jpg should just be Police Interceptor front view.png, I have not idea why we'd have WatchDogs in front of the filename coupled with so many hyphens.
It creates a complete mess, especially when there are over a dozen files starting with WatchDogs. I'm aiming for simplicity not complexity. And a .png file should always be used over a .jpg file when possible. Using .png where possible avoids compression artefacts. Image should also be sourced to avoid copyright violations.
- Only one hyphen is needed, and that's to separate the image subject from the game that it belongs to, ideally the game title should follow the image subject. Tagging each image with WatchDogs helps us differentiate later on when sequels of the game arrive and helps with the search engine indexing. Adding the word view isn't necessary as any image is a view so to speak.
- I can try converting or re-creating the images entirely in Photoshop if need be to get PNG versions?
- I fail to see how that will help with the search engine indexing, well, the way you're showing it to me which is: put the game title first and the other stuff last. -sigh-, could I just map out an image policy and show you the results? If you disagree with some of it, then I'll gladly change it. Both our inputs are important on this matter. I think this way, we could make alterations to the policy until we finally decide on a concrete proposal. Okay? --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 20:24, January 22, 2014 (UTC)
- And I don't run the image threw any Adobe product, I usually just use picresive to do it. But I guess you could do that.
- Having the game title preceding the subject is only one example, as you may have guessed from the filenames of the images I upload, I'd rather see the game title as a suffix. If you think it doesn't work, just do a google image search for anything followed by "Watch Dogs", be it a weapon, vehicle or character. You'll see that a number of the top results come from this wiki....
Wiki future Edit
I'm now an administrators on the main wiki <watchdogs.wikia.com>. The others are getting demoted. I would really like if you came over there with us to start over on a fresh leaf. The wiki being viewed as a new entity all together now. I know how you favor the work, and now with me at the helm I'll support your decision if they are for the best.
I really don't want this to turn into a feud (which I knew might happen). We are all working towards making a wiki for Watch Dogs, the best wiki for Watch Dogs. Having two wikis will only confuses the fan base at large. I don't want them asking questions like, "Is this the real Watch Dogs Wiki," or, "Which on should I edit on?"
There are a few new editors there who are extremely open to policy and rulesets being added to the community. Wikia staff will most likely favor this proposal, so we have backing. No more doing it on your own. The administrators that were giving us a hassle before are gone now. It's a new wiki. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 21:08, January 27, 2014 (UTC)
- I'll see how things develop over there, for me the main concern comes in the form of peddling the highest quality information about the franchise across the board. In future if the setup improves itself then I may come over and join in.
- It's not a feud, it's just an alternative resource, much like how the physical world has a mass range of books concerning a particular subject such as say the Titanic or something. If users feel they could better information elsewhere then they have a choice.
- I'll have to see how things develop; I saw one thread that seems to suggest that I am not going to be welcome over there. I'm not sure if those views are reflected by others in the community, but it does make me quite hesitant, so I'll have to see how things progress. JBanton (Talk | Contribs) 19:49, January 29, 2014 (UTC)
- I'll try to start up a discussion later. The editors at the wiki, as you can see above, are in open arms about you coming over to the other wiki. The two administrators who seem to have a grudge against you are the problem, as I can see now. I just want to cool tension between us, so you can join us, because they're under the assumption that the current admins can jump start the wiki (some thing I doubt, highly, especially when 2 of them are inactive and one out the duo is really, I shall say it, immature. If you don't mind, I've imported some of the content on the article here over to the other wiki. I know I should have asked, but I feel confident enough that we'll be joining up together soon. Call me overly optimistic. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 16:15, February 5, 2014 (UTC)
There's no tension really; I just prefer to stay put at the moment. As for the less welcoming attitudes/ members, I'm not really too worried about them; they won't stop me from providing great content for those who visit, purely because I can contribute elsewhere (here). If/ when things appear to be more friendly or well-suited to what I can bring to a wiki, then I may consider joining in.
Something I saw Edit
Hi there :) is it alright if I put in an outfits section? I've got quite a catalogue
- Clothing retailers are being listed in here somewhere, so yes. Outfits, clothing and things relating to apparel are very much welcome, thanks. JBanton (Talk | Contribs) 08:20, January 31, 2014 (UTC)
126.96.36.199 01:52, February 15, 2014 (UTC) Why did you block me?
Hi! Thanks for your message :) ! You know, as I live in Montpellier (France) I just love Ubisoft games and above all Watch_Dogs. I follow discussions on watchdogsforum.net but I'm not a member because I'm French, so... Being also a car lover, I decided to contribute to this wikia and especially car pages. Hope to be useful to the community ! (Excuse my English if there are mistakes) --Pierredu34 (talk) 17:50, February 15, 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks again ! I don't what country you are from but if you're not from Europe, I can help you with articles such as European Hatchback or European Sports Car.
Spotlight Request Edit
- Thank you very much, do I need to provide an image, caption or anything else? If the wiki is spotlighted immediately would that rule out it being given a spoltlight slot on/ around the release time of the debut Watch_Dogs title?
Coming back Edit
Hey JBanton, I've finally realized my error in judgement about the other wiki. It's virtually going nowhere, so If you'll have me, I'd like to continue being an administrator here. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 15:11, March 2, 2014 (UTC)
- This is great news. I've been monitoring this wiki's progress since I went MIA a few months back and it looks better than before. And now yes, I'm back to this wiki. Solution to the original project? The wiki's url and name? Well yes, I'll have a discussions with the other wiki's crats and see if they'll give us the url (watchdogs.wikia.com), they actually were very open to it when they made me an administrator. --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 16:09, March 3, 2014 (UTC)
I just noticed on the twitter page that the URL is wrong for our wikia, it goes to the other wikia. Might be confusing some people :)
I just thought of an idea for a new section of some of the pages. We should add to some of the pages their influences. For example, for Mad Mile, we could have a influences section saying that it is inspired by The Mag Mile.
I'm really terrible at keeping this account updated and organized (oops, I actually missed some important news, but uploaded an altered picture of the Oscar selfie? What?) I'm not the ideal operator and since you yourself already have a twitter account, you would want to take over handling of @WatchDogsWiki? --٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ RegularGuy (talk) 16:07, March 8, 2014 (UTC)